Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Birthday Girl



Well, folks, today is a red-letter day for me.  A landmark day.  A milestone.  It's a big birthday, one I've been dreading for, oh, a while.  I want to say first of all, however, that I am very grateful to have reached this age - there are many who haven't, and I am definitely blessed with my life and the wonderful people in it.  And no, you did not just see things, I did also say that I have been dreading it.  Let me 'splain.

I dread it only because it got here so VERY fast!  What the heck - didn't I just turn 20?  Aren't I still that magical age of 25?  No?  Really?!  How?  Surely not enough years have passed for that?  But when I look back on the last few years a LOT has happened.  I lived in a country where I hardly spoke the language and learned a lot about myself in doing so, I graduated from university, I had my first (proper) job, lived all by myself in a place where I knew no one, got married and had abrupt introduction to what the life of an Army wife is really like, made it through three deployments, re-adjusted to life as a civilian back in Ireland, had a beautiful baby girl.  I also lost a couple of people whom I loved very dearly.  There have certainly been highs and lows over last few years but the blessings and positives outweigh the negatives and for that I am very thankful.

Sitting her this morning and can honestly say that I am excited for this next decade.  People keep saying, "this is when life really begins".  Is that true?  I do know one thing - I'm more sure of myself and who I am at this age than I was ten years ago.  I am happier in my own skin than I was then.  I have the best partner I could ever ask for in life, a man who makes me strive to be better every single day and enriches my life in ways I'm sure he does not know.  A man I am very fortunate to call my best friend and my partner in crime :)  I have a daughter who has redefined the meaning of love for me, one who amazes me every single day and brings joy to anyone who meets her.  I have a family who love me, believe in me, whom I love and am so fortunate to be able to call my friends as well as my blood.  You can't choose your family but I'm so thankful that I was stuck with these guys :)

A week and a half ago my wonderful husband surprised me with a fantastic party with my family and friends.  The night made turning this land-mark age something to really celebrate and be excited about.  Thank you for that - it was a wonderful gift.  You all are the best.  {And I promise I'll post some photo's soon (being more organised is one of my goals for the new year and this new age!)}.

So this first day of a new chapter is an exciting one for me.  I'm happy, blessed and can't wait to see what the next few years have to bring.

xo,
G

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Enjoy your special day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Grace! Hope you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace
    How can you be so old???? I have known you since day 1 and I have not had as many years (that I will admit to)!!! Seriously - I have seen you grow up from a child to the wonderful person you are today and I count myself very lucky to be a part of your life. We have seen each other through many good and some sad times. May God bless you and your lovely family. Love always. Helen (Courtney)

    ReplyDelete