Friday, January 14, 2011

Resolution-ary Road

via
I'm playing some serious blogging catch-up today.  We have had a busy start to the year - on the downside we've all been sick and on the upside my in-laws came to stay for two weeks which was really lovely!  As a result, however, I have been seriously slacking in the blog department.  So today and next week will (hopefully) bring some catch-up posts, photos, and thoughts.  Is that OK with you?

Well, 'the most wonderful time of year' has come and gone.  The mince pies and cookies have all been eaten, the egg nog has been drunk, the presents wrapped and ripped open on Christmas morning, the tree and decorations have been put away, the snow has melted and there's almost a feel of spring in the air here in Dublin - don't worry, I'm sure it won't last long!  Can you believe it?  I certainly can't - it all went by very fast.  

And now it's 2011.  I'm sure you're all way ahead of me and have already made and started to keep (or break!) your new years resolutions.  I, for one, am really not that big on resolutions.  Not that I don't believe they are a good thing to make - it's always good to take stock of your life, decide on things you want to change or improve, and challenge yourself to be a better version of yourself.  The last couple of years I didn't really make or break any resolutions - last year mainly because I was in the newborn fog and was too tired to think never mind make a resolution!  But this year I feel it's time to get back in the saddle and make some changes.  Here's some of what I'm resolving to do this year (in no particular order):
  1. Get fit.  Doesn't this top every one's list of new years resolutions?  This is two fold for me.  I want to get fit but I also want to lose that last 10lbs of baby weight that just will not disappear (not that the arrival of the autumn - my favorite food season - and Christmas did anything to help matters!).  I did make a bit of an effort in 2010 and I'm feeling the better for it.  However, I still have a bit to go in terms of where I want to be (post-baby) and I'm going to keep with the Pilates that I'm already doing.  I want to get back to spinning (my fave cardio!) and who knows, maybe I'll even give running a try (hahaha).
  2. Take a class.  I've been wanting to take a sewing class.  I've wanted to take up knitting.  I really want to take a photography class most of all, though.  This year I'm going to do it. 
  3. Volunteer.  My sister and I were discussing this a few weeks ago.  I spend a lot of time thinking of those less fortunate or those who just need a hand, or a smile, or someone to talk to.  This year I want to offer my time to help those in need.  
  4. Travel.  P and I have lived here for 3 years now and for a number of reasons, we have not traveled nearly as much as we'd like to.  So in 2011 we're going to see more of Europe (in fact, we're booking our first holiday today!).  Of course, we'll bring along our favourite little person, but maybe we'll take a trip just the two of us, too. I also want to spend more time being a tourist in my own city, and I challenge you to do the same - I promise it won't disappoint!
  5. Sing more.  And I'm not just talking about in the shower. Those who have known me for a long time know that I love to sing (hello JCHC!).  I've all but stopped singing and I miss it.  So maybe I'll join a choir or something - if they'll have me!
  6. Be. More. Positive.  Have I always been a glass half empty person?  I don't know, I don't think so.  I hope not.  But what I do know is that since we moved back here I tend to be quite negative and I hate it.  The Irish in general tend to be that way, and I find myself slipping into that way of thinking.  It drives P crazy, and I don't really notice it until it really gets me down.  So this year I'm going to make a concerted effort to see that the glass is half full! 
  7. Date night with the hubby.  We used to do this a lot, pre-baby.  Set a night that was a 'date night'.  Not just grabbing dinner together after a day in town.  A proper, get-dressed-up, out on the town kind of date. Sometimes it's dinner and a movie (we're total film buffs), sometimes it's just a long, lovely dinner.  Sometimes it's the theatre or a concert.  I miss those nights and I think, especially as new parents, it's really important for couples (us) to have time to re-focus on each other.  A lot of times life just seems to get in the way and it's hard to remember the need to spend time with each other and nurture that most-important relationship. 
  8. Family first.  We've had a rough year, my family.  We lost an amazing lady who, although not related to us by blood, was just as big and important a part of our family as any one of us is.  Having been through that, I'm left craving time with my family - quality time, where we can be together, laugh together, and most importantly, be ourselves with each other.  We are slightly scattered (although thankfully not as much as we used to be), but I'm hoping that in 2011 we can all spend some much-needed time with each other.
  9. Introduce C to the beach.  OK, this is slightly selfish because I'm CRAVING some beach time (hence the photo at the top).  And I'm not talking about Sandymount beach (although it's lovely too).  I'm talking white sand, crystal blue ocean, bright blue skies, pelicans diving for fish, palm trees lining the sand. And heat!!    
  10. Be more organized.  I can be when I want to be.  But right now my closet is a mess, my drawers are disgraceful, my desk is stressful even to look at.  I want to take stock of my belongings, purge what needs to be purged and re-organize my things.  I think that's the start of a less-stressful day-to-day life, don't you?
Whatever your resolutions are for 2011 (and please feel free to share some in the comments - you might inspire me to add more to my list!), I hope this year brings you and your families happiness, love, and the opportunity to achieve whatever it is you are aiming for. 

xo,
G

    5 comments:

    1. Here's one I threw on my list:
      * More Creative Cooking - I feel like I always get into a rut with cooking, making the same few dishes every week. So given that our dinners out are not as frequent as they used to be since my little man likes to head to bed at 7:30pm... one night a month I am going to try a brand new three course meal with all new recipes from my cookbooks: an appetizer, entree and dessert. Something for T and I to do together, our at-home date night with a fabulous meal and spice up the recipes!

      ReplyDelete
    2. That's a great one, LL. When I first had C, I hated not having the time to cook - so when she started going to bed and STTN, I felt like a new (culinary) woman! It's great to try new recipes - I have some good cook books to recommend if you like! Hope T will get home very soon so this date night can start asap!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Great idea! I agree with all of the above and have one to add.....11. Read more! I waste an awful lot of time watching nothing on television and browsing the internet so this year, I want to turn off the TV and computer when I don't have something specific to watch/do and start reading good books!

      ReplyDelete
    4. I pretty much agree with all the resolutions and Ruth's. I spend way too much time watching things like "The Top 100 Most Annoying People of 2010"... like I have for the past hour. Sad.

      ReplyDelete
    5. Wonderful resolutions for the New Year!!! My resolution is to read more too! My hubby reads about 3 books a week (no joke), and I'll go through phases of reading several books in several weeks, then nothing for a month or so! I guess I need to go hit up the bookstore! =)

      ReplyDelete